In my little corner of the world, I find rest and solice from the hectic GO-GO-GO world I choose to live in (see, Mom?- I’m owning my life choices. #growth).
My #HomeSweetHomewood house is a quiet respite on the sweetest little cul-de-sac this side of the Mississippi with quite possibly the best neighbors in the country. We all love errbody round here, folks, but we ain’t all Gladys Kravitz-like in these parts. Mercy, no. We march to our own drumbeats but wouldn’t hesitate to lend a hand or do just about anything for our people. We are small-town USA. Our homes are unassuming but possess character, we appreciate well-crafted workmanship and go to great lengths to ensure history is properly preserved. Our trees are mature and their branches wrap their loving arms over our fair city to protect and preserve the past while carefully filtering in growth and development that mirrors what our sweet city holds dear. Homewood is where it’s at, y’all.
While I adore my humble abode, y’all know I’m not one to sit still. Extreme extroverts such as myself rarely do. When I’m out and about, I believe in shopping, dining , and socializing locally. Homewood has no shortage of opportunities available for such! Here are some of my favorite go-to’s that never disappoint.
Hey, a girl’s gotta eat
-photo cred Bartaco website
1. Real and Rosemary This is one of my favorite spots in Bham! Their fast-casual farm-to-table concept makes eating fresh and healthy a fast and affordable option without compromising quality and culinary excellence. I love this place so much that I seriously could eat there every day. Their menu has such diverse options that I would never get bored. However, being the creature of dining habit that I can often be, I always get my “usual” of herbed roasted chicken(that sauce y’all 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼), a polenta cake, and the seasonal succotash. I’ve had Bible study here, client lunches, and dinner with many-a friend. It’s a great spot. Get there soon if you haven’t been.
2. Bartaco Ok I adore this place in my favorite Southern city (Nashville) and when I heard we were getting one, I got soooo excited. However, I couldn’t be happier about the atmosphere accompanying the already stellar food and drink menu. I’m going to own a spot on the hearth of that outdoor fireplace in my skinnies and boots in just a few short weeks so come see me at my new favorite place! 😉 Seriously, the patio is on-point. For me, atmosphere is almost as crucial as good food. This place has both. #winning
I love the oyster taco, the el pastor, and the chips and salsa and guac are delectable. Of course, what’s Mexican food without a good margarita, am I right?? Theirs are naturally “skinny”. They are made to order with fresh lime juice, agave, tequila, and salt(if you prefer). None of those super-sweet syrupy mixers need apply. The decor is very Joanna Gaines(which I love) with a hipster twist.
3. Gianmarcos Deep inside me lives a large Italian woman who craves unlimited carbs and bottomless wine glasses. When she comes out and demands to be fed, Gianmarcos is the only place I consider. The authentic dishes with some southern flare in a romantic atmosphere is unparalleled. My favorite spot is the wine bar in the back. It’s so intimate and laid back with the same menu. The vodka chicken pasta is my go-to. Make reserves in advance for the front restaurant. Wine bar is first come, first served and be prepared to wait a bit.
Shopping is my cardio -photo credit-Seibels website
1. Alabama Goods This little store makes me smile so much! I know that if I need a quick hostess gift or something uniquely Alabama, this is where I’m heading! From food to art to gifts all from Alabama (duh, right?) this is your place.
2. Seibels Little known(by those who don’t know me well, anyway) fact-I have always wanted to have a very ruggedly sophisticated log home (and a ruggedly sophisticated man too for that matter…🦄). If the good folks at Seibels would kindly just let me move on in, it would be perfect, thanks. From textiles with earthy elements to unique lamps, fixtures, decor and such, they have it all. Since I don’t currently reside in my dream log home, I go each year at Christmas to add to my rustic flocked tree decor. Have a lake/mountain home or a dream like me? This is your place.
3. Stock and Trade Looking to update your home decor sitch? Stock and Trade is the place. Their beautifully designed showroom offers multiple options for the perfect addition to your humble abode. For my impending sofa replacement project, I will head straight there knowing that the design team there will advise and assist in helping me find the perfect piece that will make a statement but hold true to my decor and style approach. Plus, the options are limitless in sophistication but cost effective to fit any budget.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere 1. W XYZ bar at aloft Want a quiet(pending no events in the space) but posh place to meet for a beverage? Look no further. The bartenders are excellent at manning the full-service bar and you can enjoy your DOC(drink of choice) in peace while carrying on your conversation with your chosen company or alone. I enjoy this place for a casually upscale spot to have a glass of wine after work.
2. Jackson’s Did someone say 1/2 priced wine??? Sundays all bottles are 1/2 off(as they are at sister restaurant Avo/Dram 💕💗😍). The rose is quite refreshing as is the pinot gris. When we get back up to almost 90 degree temps this weekend, this will be a good place to enjoy some 🍷with good company on their fantastic patio.
3. Octane Coffee shop by day, bar by night. Octane has some of the best coffee in the city and the atmosphere is just downright cool and warm. (See what I did there?). I like to use it as a landing place to catch up on emails in between appointments in Homewood since my company is doing a big project for the city. I know I can get the jolt of energy needed from the sweet nectar of the gods that they are serving up behind the bar(day or nighttime beverages alike) all in one chameleonesque establishment.
These are 3 of my most favorites using my own life-filters in Homewood. What are yours?
Mine help to add value and dimension to this life I love and all of that makes me #APaigeFromTheSouth